Saturday, November 12, 2011

University drama continues

In my last post I gave you a humorous (to me) snippet of conversation. I didn't mention that the choir in which I sing is the "elite" university choir; still, there are challenges inherent in bring together a new group of people, including several freshman unaccustomed to the rigors of university academics, and giving a good cohesive performance.  

On the first day of rehearsal, the sopranos were asked to sing a particular passage. They were so tentative and mousy that I was truly worried about the ensemble.  The choral conductor simply said, "I expect better from you."

Fast forward to the concert.  The performance was excellent.  I was so proud (and crushed, because I couldn't sing) to be a part of that ensemble.  In fact, it was the best Fall concert I'd ever heard.  And the sopranos were on top of their game.

All was not rosy, however.

Last year, the opera director was let go, and there was word that the department would re-focus itself to include music theater.  Some people, our own music history teacher included, insist that music theater IS opera.  There is some merit to that argument, but to the common layperson, they are not the same thing.  "Serious" opera is generally based on historical or mythological themes, and "comic" or "light" opera is based on everyday, common themes.  Even Mozart wrote comic opera, but there is great artistic training and skill required to sing his works. Music theater would be included in the "light" opera category.

The new opera director included in the choral concert one number meant as an advertisement for the end-of-session opera production.  The piece was from music theater, and featured two performers.  One was from the music school, and the other was from the theater department, reflecting the new collaboration taking place.

The "advertisement" probably had the opposite effect, as there were at least 50% fewer in attendance at the opera production than there were last year.  I've always been in awe of our opera productions at the university, and could with confidence say, "I could never do that."  I simply have not the talent or skill to sing the way these students do.  (I should mention, too, that we have older students with years of experience, and it shows.)  But this time, I was embarrassed that people had actually paid money for this performance.  Again, the problem was NOT with our music students.  One shouldn't attend a show and think, "I could do better."

How is it possible that our music students were able to act better than the theater students?  One of my teachers said in passing during class one day, "What is the difference between a bachelor's degree music student and a musician with a Ph.D.?  It's the ear."  I'm struck by the wisdom of this statement.  Music students ears develop a remarkable degree during their training, and they are able to hear things unnoticed by most people.  It is my opinion that the music students were able to hear and use the cadences of the voice and the natural pauses between phrases to achieve maximum effect upon the listener.  Perhaps I'm spoiled by my high school drama teacher (R.I.P.) who was a graduate of Yale drama school, but I expected so much more from this university-level collaborative effort.

Oh, and the Spring opera production? The Threepenny Opera. Wikipedia describes it as "a Marxist critique of the capitalist world."  Just. Great.

Just one more thing--the professor that was given the "Outstanding Teacher" award last spring, and who has amazing versatile skills regarding language diction, collaborative piano, and vocal coaching?  He was let go, too.

4 comments:

  1. This University! information, completely usefull...thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost deleted that comment but then realized it's my first spam. *eyes tear up*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger's spam/comment blocker is hit and miss.

    However, I have noticed - with respect to my work and personal e-mail (unrelated to my blogging) - that there has been significantly lesser spams over the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredibly, TH2, my personal email receives no spam whatsoever. The university email seems prone to stupid stuff, though, related to "student interests."

    I check the email of a local non-profit organization, and often get a good chuckle out of all those folks around the globe who need someone to help them out with a money transfer.

    ReplyDelete