Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Disaster, figuratively and literally

This week I began attending an intensive two-week course at the university.  Tomorrow we devote the entire class session (4 1/2 hours) to "Gender and Sexuality" but that's a topic I prefer to neglect on this blog.

Two days ago, on the first day of class, I made the mistake of glancing at my phone when there was still an hour left in the class.  I should have followed the "no cell phone use" rule to protect myself, because I couldn't concentrate for the rest of the class after I read the following:

"There may be a problem with your recital.  It may be impossible for us to use [the location] for a while...."

Bad timing.

Two and half years ago, the university sent a team of workers in to assess repairs on the facility.  It was clear that the ceiling was starting to deteriorate.  University gods had determined that "condensation" was the problem, and they installed a terribly noisy device in a closet in the basement that would address the issue.  This thing sounded like an air compressor, which is particularly distressing to females who tend to notice annoying sounds more than men.

The ceiling issues persisted, and the building started to smell of mold and mildew.  Youngest Son would greet me at home after a practice session and declare, "You smell like [name of building]."  Yep.  I sure did.

Meanwhile, ceiling plaster started appearing on the benches and floor in the building.  Recently, some holes developed in the ceiling which caused Chinese Water Torture during a heavy rain.  I told Oldest Daughter a few weeks ago, "The ceiling is going to start falling in chunks."

And it did.

During a wedding.

All of us are now locked out of the building.  A rescue operation for music and shoes is planned.

My recital is in limbo, a HUGE issue because I was registered for the recital during Fall, and Organ Teacher told me, "Don't drop the class, I'll just give you an Incomplete!"  "Incompletes" must be given a grade during the first few weeks of the next quarter or they turn to "F." I don't have a location for the recital, and the university gods don't want to let me in the building for any length of time, including one hour for a recital.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes - I am so sorry! Although, not surprised in the least! I'm surprised that place hasn't collapsed sooner! Keep us posted for the new location!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand. Isn't it as simple as finding/reserving another place/building to do the recital? Why should everything be left in a state of suspended animation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. TH2, it IS that simple. The problem is finding another suitable venue. None of the other organs in town (there are only a few) have the necessary stops (sounds) for my pieces. We are also rather isolated geographically. The other locations being considered are 50-80 miles away, and require the cooperation of the pastors and musicians at those churches at a very busy time of the year.

    ReplyDelete