Monday, October 24, 2011

Mass review from Big Church #1

Older Girl, Older Boy, and I traveled to a city about forty-five miles north of the church at which I'm currently registered.  I'd heard many good things over a period of years about this particular church; it's quite large and the word on the streets was that it was quite liturgically (and otherwise) orthodox.

We got there very early to go to confession.  I was immediately impressed that there was an entire hour dedicated to hearing them.  There was no line when we arrived, and although I didn't know and couldn't tell where the confessionals were, we accidentally happened upon them as we walked toward the tabernacle.  As usual in many cities, the church had several old folks who were there very early.  For some, it's social time.  Others are there to pray.  As we sat for confession, a piano played from the choir loft.  I assumed the piano was playing to drown out any confession sounds (which is very thoughtful), and was also hoping that the piano would be silent during Mass.

As Mass time approached, the church filled up.  This is a very large church, and on a Saturday evening at that.  I was impressed.  I heard the gorgeous organ playing, and as I picked up clear-plastic-covered OCP Music Issue (boo for OCP, but the covers were not cheap plastic) I saw that the organist and cantor were practicing a new Mass that had been inserted to cover the back and front of the Music Issue.  Of course, I checked to see that the new translation had been faithfully realized; it had indeed.  It was also clear that the organist was well-trained and accomplished.

Mass began.  The celebrant was the priest who'd heard my confession.  He was assisted by a deacon.  There were three servers, two boys and a girl, and each wore very neat albs that looked freshly pressed.  The Mass was well-choreographed; between readings, the cantor and lector would meet in front of the altar and bow profoundly.  Nothing was rushed.  Great care was taken with the liturgy.  There was no homily because this happened to be the weekend that Anointing of the Sick was conducted; Fr. Good Confessor made it clear that the sacrament was intended for seriously ill people, or those about to undergo a serious surgery.  (In my parish, half the congregation stood.)  Some could not come to the front, so their hands and heads were anointed in their pew.  The others lined up to be anointed.

Even with four people distributing hosts, and four people distributing the Precious Blood, the organist went through two Communion hymns.  It was wonderful to see so many young adults and children there.  And since it had been several weeks since I'd been to Communion (my job made it rather difficult), I very joyfully received the Body of Christ.

This was the relaxing, prayerful Mass I've experienced in a very long time.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to attend, and the entire family is intending to trek up this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Based on what you experienced so far, will this more distant parish be more often attended for Mass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure, TH2. I neglected to mention that this church is in a different diocese than my residence (which happens to be near the border anyway.) If I remember the camera, you'll see pictures posted here soon. The church is beautiful, but somewhat austere for one so large. A glance at the parish website reveals that renovations are occurring slowly but surely. The stained-glass windows are top-notch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have I been to said church I wonder aloud in your comment box?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure, MCK, but you may have gone to a funeral there a few years back.

    ReplyDelete