Saturday, October 15, 2011

Josquin - Missa Pange Lingua - Kyrie & Gloria

YouTube refuses to let me embed this video, so please click the link:
Josquin - Missa Pange Lingua - Kyrie & Gloria


What keeps Anna happy even after all those funerals?  Josquin, of course, who can cure all ills with his unbelievably gorgeous music.  Heck, maybe he'll cure my sinus infection!

This version displays the notation as the music progresses.  This is the height of vocal counterpoint, in my opinion.  (Must I also confess to a crush on Josquin?  I have a crush on Josquin.)

In counterpoint class, one must avoid using cadential treatments used by Josquin that were antiquated by the time of Palestrina, who is the model for 16th century counterpoint. Perhaps Anna also had to force herself to NOT use "do ti ti la do" instead of "ti do" in the soprano?  He doesn't use those cadences in this composition, but they are legion in the Missa Hercules Dux Ferrariae. BTW, I got an A+ on my midterm counterpoint composition. :-)

1 comment:

  1. yay! good for you Mary - I'm so proud of your counterpoint success!

    ReplyDelete