Thursday, March 14, 2013

Habemus Papam!

February 11, 2013 was a lousy day.  My beloved Pope Benedict XVI announced that he would abdicate the throne of St. Peter.  I understood that he was guided by the Holy Spirit in this decision but felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach.  February 28 came and we witnessed the end of our Papa's reign.  And the tears came too easily.

Archbishop Jorge Bergoglio of Buenos Aries was elected Supreme Pontiff yesterday and is now known as Pope Francis.  As he was introduced to us and stood before us on the balcony, I recalled the feeling of witnessing my newborn babies for the first time, and feeling the overwhelming, deep love for them.  The feeling was similar as I watched Pope Francis. What a gift he is for us!  Already the world is touched by his sweet, gentle nature.  (And the Usual Suspects are shocked *again* that the Pope is Catholic.)

 
Please pray for Pope Francis and Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment