Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Strange Homily (probably the first in a series)

The priest at the church we usually attend is a very knowledgeable and personable priest, and he can give some killer great homilies.  Several times I wish I'd recorded his homily just to be able to revel in it once more.  Other times, like last weekend, it's a real head-scratcher.  Allow me to paraphrase:

"We have a new bishop.  I haven't met him but I hear he's a great guy.  People ask me if I'd like to be a bishop.  I say, "No way!" Being a bishop is a terrible job.  Everyone is always mad at you.  But a bishop can do whatever he wants.  He doesn't answer to anyone but the Pope. He owns everything in the diocese: the churches, land, rectory, schools...he even owns me. 
As a priest, my job is the spiritual welfare of the people, but the only person I answer to is the bishop.  I'm in charge here, and I can do anything I want. 
God bless you."  

There must be a problem or issue in the parish that led to this sermon.  We thought that he was going to tie it in somehow to the elections, but....no.

How odd.

(n.b. He really does talk in short sentences as written above.)

No comments:

Post a Comment