Thursday, July 26, 2012

Why Musicians Hate Weddings Part 2

A few weeks ago, I got a call to play for a wedding that would be held in a whopping 10 days. I actually like this kind of call, because the bride/groom realize that at this late time, the choice of music is pretty much my own.  And, they have to pay whatever I ask. (There's not exactly a proliferation of organists in the area, and that church's regular organist was planning to be out of town that day.)

I quoted my normal price, however, just because I'm nice that way.  Additionally, I agreed to accompany a soloist for the Schubert "Ave Maria" at no extra charge as long as she came to practice well before the ceremony was to begin.

On the day of the wedding, the soloist eventually showed up (late), and announced that she'd brought a tape recording of the Ave Maria to accompany her, "but it'll probably sound better with organ, right?" she asked.  I agreed that yes, in fact it would sound better with organ.  I asked if she had music with her (I'd brought an extra copy *just in case*) or if she had it memorized, and she stated that she'd sung it "probably 400 times".

She did in fact have it memorized, and her voice was decent though untrained.  However, there really is no good way to make "Aaaaave Mareeeeeeee" *BIG BREATH HERE* "eeeeeeeheeeuh" sound good.

Oh, and a nota bene for all the gals out there who might someday be a bride, or a bridesmaid, or who may wear a tank top, or......whatever; please don't ruin yours or anyone else's bridal photos.

PLEASE EXERCISE GOOD JUDGMENT AND TASTE WHEN OBTAINING TATOOS.


No comments:

Post a Comment