Saturday, March 31, 2012

Holy Week 2012

Holy Week is upon us, and this year I'll be experiencing the passion and death of our Lord Jesus like never before.  "Why?" you may ask.

Because at the very moments I should be participating in the Mass and Good Friday liturgy, I'll instead be providing music for a non-Catholic church who thinks I'm worth having around.

This is not what I want.

Every once in a while I'll see someone from my "home parish" who asks if I'm still going to church.

REALLY?  Did you ever know me?  They must've forgotten about my über-Catholicity, and I'm not even sure how that's possible. Geez.

So now I'm thinking I'll get a year in at this job, then see if there's a Catholic church within a 1 1/2 hour drive that wants some actual Catholic music, not OCP crap, from a competent organist and singer.  If not, then perhaps I'll just become a recitalist or....whatever.

At this time, I think a motivational speaker is appropriate.



Really, I just wanted an excuse to post that video.

Other than that, life is progressing pretty much on track.  I received A's in all my classes last quarter, and was especially happy about the 98 I received on my final counterpoint composition. The class had 17 students last quarter, and only 6 this quarter.  And, as it turns out, the only person for whom the third quarter of counterpoint is required is ME. Heh.

Despite the depressing tone of this post, everything is really just fine.  An upside to all of this churchy-stuff is that the family and I can attend anonymously in any number of parishes.  And I like that.

2 comments:

  1. 1.5 hours to the nearest Catholic Church... that's a long drive.

    That SNL Chris Farley video is one of my favourites. Very sad about his early death, and how he died. Don't want to sound morose on this issue, but here's a glimmer: he was clutching a Rosary when discovered lifeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are closer churches, but I'm willing to drive that distance to get a real job--the kind that pays money--at a Catholic church that wants real music instead of 'celebrating' the guttural moanings of Indigo Girl-wannabees.

    I LOVE Chris Farley. In several of the SNL skits, he's wearing what appears to be a gold 5-way medal (I wear one just like it almost every day.) I get angry when I hear some of the material written for him, most of it ridiculing and exploiting his weight. Heartless.

    ReplyDelete